Found on proggit: Nim receives funding from a company (D should be doing something like this)

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Mon Aug 13 09:50:29 UTC 2018

Announced last week, the Nim team will be adding two full-time
paid devs and setting up grants for needed projects with this new
funding:

https://our.status.im/status-partners-with-the-team-behind-the-programming-language-nim/
https://nim-lang.org/blog/2018/08/07/nim-partners-with-status.html

D should also be trying to raise resources like this, though it
doesn't have to be corporate funding from one source. This
company funding Nim raised $100 million in an ICO last year to
build some kind of cryptocurrency-oriented mobile apps platform:

https://www.inc.com/brian-d-evans/status-ico-raised-over-100-million-for-ethereum-powered-dapps-on-ios-and-androi.html

There are risks, of course. This company could flame out, like
many of these new cryptocurrency companies do, leaving Nim
without ongoing funding. Their priorities may not align with the
Nim core team.

However, there are other ways to raise funds. Companies using D
could use the existing bountysource page to put up bounties for
features/fixes or projects they need, to which community members
who need some particular feature/fix could also donate:

https://www.bountysource.com/teams/d

There are two primary factors in the success of any project,
design and resources. I'm reasonably happy with the design of D
and how technical decisions are being made. I think this is a
core strength of D.

However, it appears the D core team has so far been doing a
horrible job in gathering resources for the project. I'm not
privy to any internal discussions or if this is being discussed
at all. But it needs to be a priority for the ongoing growth of
this project.