Engine of forum

jurr iforgot at again.device32
Tue Aug 21 00:50:23 UTC 2018

On Monday, 20 August 2018 at 10:55:54 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 20/08/2018 10:38 PM, Andrey wrote:
>> On Monday, 20 August 2018 at 09:52:01 UTC, Peter Alexander
>> wrote:
>> user profiles,
>
> Why do you need that? All the information you need is embedded
> right into the messages themselves (its just emails after all,
> that yes you can download!).

View post history, edit posts (don't know how many times I
misclick something and a half completed post gets posted which
just makes it difficult to read and follow), be able to login I
use a different made-up email on every device I post from cause I
can't remember the last made-up email I used.

>> formatting of messages (we are programmers - we need format),
>
> My install of Thunderbird has markdown extensions, so I have
> formatting.

Should need an extension for this. Hell even reddit supports code
formatting and that's not even a programming centric site.

>> when reply you don't need to quote...
>
> Plenty of forum users are required to quote. You lose track of
> what you're replying to otherwise because they are not a tree,
> its a list of replies only (which is very very bad and which
> N.G. does a lot better).

If you just want to make a comment on a topic without replying to
any specific person

>> It's a strange question, really. As though no one was on the
>> normal forums and do not know how they are convenient.
>
> I have used both. N.G. are more convenient once you get use to
> them as a technically inclined person. Especially with DFeed,
> most have horrible interfaces.

Pointing to DFeed as a solution sort of illustrates the issue.
Almost ironic considering how you use DFeed through a web
browser, but you just host the server on your own machine.