D is dead

Shachar Shemesh shachar at weka.io
Thu Aug 23 18:04:36 UTC 2018

On 23/08/18 20:52, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 17:19:41 UTC, Ali wrote:
>> On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 16:22:54 UTC, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>>> On 23/08/18 17:01, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> My main job is to develop for Weka, not develop D itself.
>>
>> Weka, at some point, made the strategic decision to use a non
>> mainstream language
>>
>> I dont think Weka, have a choice, they have to invest in the
>> development of D itself
>
> I hope a startup can choose D without having to do that. Otherwise D is
> not really a viable option for startups because they need to focus on
> survival rather than language development.

This!

Maybe Weka can afford it, but being all smug about it is a destructive
attitude to have. I know that some of Weka's leadership are
uncomfortable about the fact that we, almost by definition, are facing
language related issues that no-one in the community has before us.

Weka is in a good place, and is going in a good direction, but don't
forget that we are up against giants, and are selling a product where
0.1% failure is considered the same as utter failure. Being able to
trust the compiler was supposed to be a given.

Yes, Weka is, at this point, committed. The next start-up isn't.

Shachar