D is dead

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Thu Aug 23 18:18:44 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 17:52:54 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 17:19:41 UTC, Ali wrote:
>> On Thursday, 23 August 2018 at 16:22:54 UTC, Shachar Shemesh
>> wrote:
>>> On 23/08/18 17:01, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> My main job is to develop for Weka, not develop D itself.
>>
>> Weka, at some point, made the strategic decision to use a non
>> mainstream language
>>
>> I dont think Weka, have a choice, they have to invest in the
>> development of D itself
>
> I hope a startup can choose D without having to do that.
> Otherwise D is not really a viable option for startups because
> they need to focus on survival rather than language development.

What a joke: are you really arguing that every startup should
have all their suppliers give them everything for free? Most
startups pay a ton of money for their critical tools, money that
pays for further development of those tools, including for
bugfixes and features in the OSS projects they use (which they
don't always open source). I'd wager that whatever Weka has spent
on Johan to fix D is much less. Maybe Weka is simply learning
they can't get away with that anymore.

What you _could_ argue is that the cost/benefit ratio of D ends
up being too high compared to some mooted alternative with a
bigger community, say C++ or Rust, but I think you'd have a tough
time making that case.