D on Twitter

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 22:49:32 UTC 2018

I follow a number of official programming language accounts on
Twitter. It is a good way to keep up to date with what's
happening in those communities and I imagine many people do the
same thing.

Something I've noticed is that D is relatively silent on this
front. At least on Twitter, it gives an impression that the D
community is less active than it is.

For comparison:

@rustlang:
32.7k followers
12.7k tweets

@D_Programming:
10.1k followers
1k tweets

10,000 is a lot of people to reach, and 1k tweets over 8 years is
too little to seem engaging.

Some suggestions:

* Post everything that happens from the Announce forum.
https://twitter.com/dlang_ng does this, but it has effectively no
followers. A bot could do this.
* Subscribe to #dlang on twitter and retweet anything good. Not
only does this highlight interesting D-related content, but also
gives others incentive to discuss #dlang there.

I don't know who runs the account, but I think both of these
should be quite easy to achieve with little effort. Of course, it
is easy to be generous with others' time :-)