Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Aug 25 20:52:06 UTC 2018

On 8/25/2018 3:52 AM, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 24 August 2018 at 19:26:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Every programmer who says this also demands new (and breaking) features.
> "Every programmer who..." Really?

You want to remove autodecoding (so do I) and that will break just about every D
program in existence. For everyone else, it's something else that's just as
important to them.

For example, Shachar wants partially constructed objects to be partially
destructed, a quite reasonable request. Ok, but consider the breakage:

   struct S {
     ~this() {}
   }

   class C {
     S s;

     this() nothrow {}
   }

I.e. a nothrow constructor now must call a throwing destructor. This is not some
made up example, it breaks existing code:

   https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6816

If I fix the bug, I break existing code, and apparently a substantial amount of
existing code. What's your advice on how to proceed with this?