Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

bpr brogoff at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 23:31:39 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 25 August 2018 at 22:55:05 UTC, RhyS wrote:
> Be honest, how many people will use BetterC in production!

Much, MUCH more likely than that I would ever use full D with GC
in production.

Really, if I want a language with a GC, D is not that good. Why
wouldn't I use a JVM language (Java, Kotlin, Scala) or Go or
something else? Notice how they all have precise GCs? Or maybe
I'd use a functional language like OCaml or Haskell. Same deal,
precise GC.

The truth is that D is by design NOT a replacement for C++ when a
low level systems programming language must be used. DasBetterC
is close to what I'd like when I have to use C++, but not yet
ideal. I'm starting to think that Rust (or, C++ 17 and beyond)
will win this battle because every other language shows up with
stuff I don't want.