Origins of the D Programming Language

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Dec 1 00:42:47 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 04:29:35PM -0800, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 04:10:49PM -0800, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> > I mentioned Github instead of just git because being a third party I
> > think it would be very difficult to fake a Github provenance, while
> > a git repository stored on your own disk would be fake-able.
> [...]
>
> Github provenance is only reliable if someone has forked your
> repository before the date of contention, because you can `git push
> --force` to rewrite history, if you were so inclined. I know for sure
> this works on topic branches; don't know if they block the master
> branch (unlikely).
[...]

Also, this assumes that the original commits weren't fudged to begin
with, before pushing to Github.  After all, git *does* let you override
the date(s) stored in each commit.  And one could set the hardware clock
to a different time, etc..

So it's not a 100% guarantee by any means, but there's a sliding scale
of increasing unlikelihood that, past a certain point, would just have
to be taken on faith barring circumstantial evidence that indicate
otherwise.

One reason that few people are aware there are programs running the internet is that they never crash in any significant way: the free software underlying the internet is reliable to the point of invisibility. -- Glyn Moody, from the article "Giving it all away"