Origins of the D Programming Language

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat Dec 1 01:08:50 UTC 2018

On 11/30/2018 4:42 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> So it's not a 100% guarantee by any means, but there's a sliding scale
> of increasing unlikelihood that, past a certain point, would just have
> to be taken on faith barring circumstantial evidence that indicate
> otherwise.

That's right. And once people start forking a repository, it becomes nearly
impossible.

I also bet that Github themselves have backups going back years, so they could
produce evidence if the provenance has been tampered with.

All in all, it's infinitely better than "I have a copy from 1992 on this floppy
disk".