What is the state of Microcontroller support in d?

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 01:12:51 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 11 December 2018 at 18:08:10 UTC, Piotrek wrote:

> That's really sad information.

Well, it's also not entirely true.  I've submitted a few pull
requests recently to hopefully help clear a few obstacles for
others.  But after that I probably won't be doing besides a few
things here and there.

> If it's not a problem for you, can you explain what was the
> reason for leaving D?

I don't want to get too deep into it, as I don't think it will
result in anything positive.  Suffice it to say, I want to get to
X.  I don't know where others want to go, but it sure doesn't
look like they're all that interested in X.  I don't think I'll
ever be able to use D professionally if it stays on the current
trajectory, and trying to influence its direction by contributing
is exhausting and affects me negatively.

At one point I asked myself:  "In 5 years what will I have to
show for the blood, sweat, and tears I put into D?" vs "In 5
years what will I have to show for the sweat, without the blood
and tears, I put into X?".  Opportunity cost is the term that
comes to mind.  Even if X never materializes I'll be more
skilled, fulfilled, and ultimately happier if I work on X than
contribute to D.

Mike