Better string mixins

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Dec 30 14:42:45 UTC 2018

On 12/29/18 9:20 AM, Ethan wrote:
> On Friday, 28 December 2018 at 14:13:04 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> I'm sure you're bored of hearing this, but workplaces aren't very
>> uniform in expected demeanor across different countries, industries,
>> companies and jobs. Playing on stereotypes: what might be normal
>> behaviour for a sysadmin at an Australian games company would likely
>> be horrifically bad behaviour for a user-facing tech support role in a
>> German accounting software company.
>
> Can confirm that I've used the phrase "next level shit" at my GDC
> presentation.
>
> Certainly what's considered professional in my industry (an
> entertainment industry) doesn't fly with classic white-collar IT.
>
> (TIL that it's now classified gold-collar. Whatevs.)
>
> Swears are fine where I'm from. Using swears to demean or insult someone
> doesn't matter, you're still being demeaning and insulting ie a dick.
> Don't be a dick.
>
> Of course, I don't mind keeping it white-collar when I post here. I
> swear a lot in person, use blue-ish humour to get a point across. But on
> a forum, I have the luxury of time to think about how to say something
> in a clean manner.

Thanks. That's exactly the spirit. (FWIW that talk was a riot and I
wouldn't ask you to change it at all.)

We're trying to stay light on formal rules and rely on common sense
among adults in a professional organization. The "but my organization
does allow that" retort does not impose on the Foundation the least
common denominator of all posters' respective organizations, and should
not be used in an attempt to game the system. Just like Ethan, I'm
convinced people understand and appreciate the variations across
workplaces and what the middle road would be.

Happy New Year!

Andrei