Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Thu Feb 1 02:50:45 UTC 2018

On Thursday, February 01, 2018 02:42:52 Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 02:24:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > I thought that *is* the color support that was added?  If
> > you're expecting IDE-style syntax highlighting, I think you're
> > setting your expectations a little high for something that
> > ostensibly was banged out in a couple of hours.
>
> Nope, the dmd compiler will highlight code between `` in its
> outputted error messages. dmd already knows how to lex D code
> (obviously) and even has a highlighter for ddoc, so it just pipes
> it through that existing function.
>
> Not all error messages had the `` around its code though. That's
> what Mike did in most his PRs.

I haven't see any syntax highlighting in any error messages. The closest
I've seen is a type name or symbol name being in white instead of grey when
it's mentioned explicitly by name outside of code snippets, but no code
snippets have been anything but grey (which is the default text color for
the console). So, either none of the errors I've gotten are marked up with
`` correctly, or there's something with my setup which makes it so that the
coloring doesn't work.

- Jonathan M Davis