[RFC] IDE starter kit

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Fri Feb 2 01:23:46 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 12:21:24 UTC, rjframe wrote:
> As a followup to [0], I want to take a look at packaging
> DlangIDE with a DMD compiler and tools, so we have an
> out-of-the box IDE for people giving D a try. This would be
> independent of the rest of the system, so moving on (either to
> Visual Studio, ldc, gdc, or whatever the programmer's preferred
> IDE/tooling might be) would require re-installing the compiler.
>
> [...]

I wouldn't worry about the compiler being duplicated as (1) it's
pretty small (~30 MB with docs and all) and (2) I have seen so
many NodeJS projects doing simple things with multiple gigabytes
of dependencies.
And if that really turns out to be bothering people which I
highly doubt, you can worry about this then.
In my experience, people using Windows are all about convenience
/ laziness and don't care about the underlying details.

Also you might want to monitor the installer repo:
https://github.com/dlang/installer/pulls

Rainer is currently working on a light DMD installer which
bundles LLD instead of the DigitalMars linker or requiring VS.