[RFC] IDE starter kit

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Fri Feb 2 02:27:12 UTC 2018

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 01:23:46 +0000, Seb wrote:

> I wouldn't worry about the compiler being duplicated as (1) it's pretty
> small (~30 MB with docs and all) and (2) I have seen so many NodeJS
> projects doing simple things with multiple gigabytes of dependencies.
> And if that really turns out to be bothering people which I highly
> doubt, you can worry about this then.

I was thinking of potential path problems; especially if one version of DMD
is updated but another isn't. I should have been more clear about my
concern. It shouldn't be an issue, but if it were, it would be annoying.

> In my experience, people using Windows are all about convenience /
> laziness and don't care about the underlying details.

This seems to be a common theme. Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder how
many Windows people leave before learning the language (or just stay off
the NG) because of these kinds of comments. Windows people do often come
with different expectations due to different experiences. Microsoft
pampers developers, so yes, expectations from newcomers are probably too
high, but there's surely a nicer way to let them down.

Some people may (not unreasonably) expect a mature language to also have a
mature ecosystem; on Linux things work pretty well out of the box, but on
Windows it can take some work to get your setup to a useful state. If
you've only worked with C# (and maybe Java), you've probably never worked
without an IDE, so you're not likely to feel comfortable without one (the
thought of writing C# without Intellisense makes me shudder; autocompletion
for D would just get in my way).

> Also you might want to monitor the installer repo:
> https://github.com/dlang/installer/pulls
>
> Rainer is currently working on a light DMD installer which bundles LLD
> instead of the DigitalMars linker or requiring VS.

Niceness! Thanks; that's good to know.