An idea for commercial support for D

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Sat Feb 3 13:14:04 UTC 2018

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 12:08:21 +0000, psychoticRabbit wrote:

> On Saturday, 3 February 2018 at 10:49:06 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> And what we find is that when you allow such mixing with
>> permissively-licensed projects (that the GPL makes much more
>> difficult), .....
>
> I've never been a fan of the GPL.. until I read this thread.
>
> It may well be, that more and more people will look towards the GPL as a
> means to protect their projects from the influence (and potential
> dangers) of this 'hybrid' model.

Except it doesn't. The GPL can be used to keep a competitor from stepping
up and using your work to create an alternative product, allowing you to
have a mixed open/closed model without worrying about competition.

Many companies that have commercial and open source editions use the GPL
for the open source code; if you submit a patch you also have to assign
copyright (or maybe unrestricted right of use) to that company. Any would-
be competitor would always lag behind the copyright-holding corp because
they have to release all features they develop if they distribute the
application, and the copyright holder is free to take any such work into
their own product.