My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

psychoticRabbit meagain at meagain.com
Tue Feb 6 03:50:31 UTC 2018

On Monday, 5 February 2018 at 16:03:44 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Monday, 5 February 2018 at 12:23:58 UTC, psychoticRabbit
> wrote:
>> No. C++ is primarliy about higher order abstractions. That's
>> why it came about.
>> Without the need for those higher order abstractions, C is
>> just fine - no need for C++
>
> Actually, many programmers switched to C++ in the 90s just to
> get function overloads and inlining without macros.

Not me. I refused (during the 90's) to use C++ for anything ;-)
(my housemate loved C++ though - to this day, I still don't know
why..)

> If you think C is just fine then I'm not sure why you are
> interested in D.

Cause D is interesting (too)... do I have to choose only one
language??

I have my own IDE - which I wrote, and i can switch between
(currently) 7 different languages - with just a single click of
my mouse button. I'll keep adding more languages that interest me.

>> The benefits of C, come from C - and only C (and some good
>> compiler writers)
>
> Not sure what you mean by that.

I mean C++ was implemented upon the foundation of C - as such,
C++ was able to take advantage of what that foundation offered.

> There is little overhead by using C++ over C if you set your
> project up for that. The only benefits with C these days is
> portability.
>
>> (depends on what 'many' means)  - There certinaly are
>> 'numerous' (what ever that means) projects trying to create a
>> better c - which contradicts your assertion.
>
> Which ones are you thinking of?

I looked at several recently  - I can't recall them all .. but
for starters..

(C2 -- interestingly this seems a lot like D)
http://c2lang.org/site/

(CheckedC - a Microsoft Research Project to 'extend' C)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/project/checked-c/