My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 15:59:28 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 15:16:46 UTC, Ralph Doncaster
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 15:10:36 UTC, Ralph Doncaster
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 08:05:46 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
>> wrote:
>>> For OpenCL I develop and maintain DCompute:
>>> http://code.dlang.org/packages/dcompute
>>> https://github.com/libmir/dcompute
>>>
>>> It has a much beautified interface to OpenCL (and is mostly
>>> consistent with its CUDA interface). You can also write
>>> kernels directly in D, however this requires that LDC is
>>> built against my fork of LLVM:
>>> https://github.com/thewilsonator/llvm
>>>
>>> It's still in dev but should be usable. Please let me know if
>>> you have issues using it.
>>
>> I saw your library before, but it looked like it is ONLY for
>> native D on GPUs.  I looked at it again, and don't see any
>> documentation or example showing that it works with standard
>> OpenCL kernels written in C.

Yeah its a wrapper for OpenCL so as long as the names and
signatures of the symbols match it should work.

> p.s. since you seem to be a green team guy, you might not know
> that llvm optimization sucks on AMD.  I use -legacy when
> building my kernels to get the good old compiler.

"green team guy"?

It that with the OpenCL C compiler? DCompute goes through SPIR-V
for OpenCL (although it would be nice to support SPIR.
Unfortunately the official version SPIR 2.0 is based of is not
supported by LDC), I dont know if this makes a difference.
It would be nice to eventually support AMDGCN et. al. at some
point but I don't have the time at the moment.