My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

Ralph Doncaster nerdralph at github.com
Thu Feb 8 17:24:31 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 at 15:59:28 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 15:16:46 UTC, Ralph Doncaster
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 15:10:36 UTC, Ralph Doncaster
>> wrote:

>>> I saw your library before, but it looked like it is ONLY for
>>> native D on GPUs.  I looked at it again, and don't see any
>>> documentation or example showing that it works with standard
>>> OpenCL kernels written in C.
>
> Yeah its a wrapper for OpenCL so as long as the names and
> signatures of the symbols match it should work.

OK, maybe I'll take a closer look.

>> p.s. since you seem to be a green team guy, you might not know
>> that llvm optimization sucks on AMD.  I use -legacy when
>> building my kernels to get the good old compiler.
>
> "green team guy"?
>
> It that with the OpenCL C compiler?

nVidia's logo is green, while AMD's logo is often red.
On Linux with AMDGPU-Pro 17 and up, the driver uses llvm/amdgpu.
The driver still has the old gcc-based? compiler.  The old
compiler can be selected with clBuildProgram using the option
"-legacy".