Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 14:01:02 UTC 2018

On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 13:08:25 UTC, Bo wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 February 2018 at 03:36:17 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
> wrote:
>> But really who is selling D to anyone? We are very far from
>> that stage right now.  Did someone sell D to Microsoft COM
>> team, Remedy or to Weka? Nope.  People who had earned the
>> authority to decide became aware of the language end decided
>> to use it.  And they did so because for them it solved their
>> particular problems better then anything else they could think
>> of.
>
> The question one needs to ask is more: how long ago have those
> developers decided to use D and why is the technology not more
> widespread in those companies.
>
> If D solved the issues in those companies, you expect to see a
> increased switch to a language.

That conclusion relies on the assumption that programmers /
managers / tech leads / CTOs choose programming languages based
on technical merits alone. While there are certainly people who
do that, in my experience they are in a small minority.

There's inertia, tribalism, sunk cost fallacy, fear of the
unknown, fear of change, lack of wanting to invest time in a new
technology, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (touted many a time
by people who either ignore security exploits or justify it
saying it's not the language's fault but bad programmers),
popularity, herd mentality, ...

Unit tests are a great idea, right? Try convincing a group of 10
programmers who have never written one and don't know anyone else
who has. I have; I failed.

Atila