Which language futures make D overcompicated?

Bo bo41 at bo0041.com
Sat Feb 10 13:47:57 UTC 2018

On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 23:01:44 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 20:49:24 UTC, Meta wrote:
>> was a complicated language, 99 of them would say no. If you
>> ask 100 Python programmers, 99 would probably say yes.
>
> Yes, but objectively speaking I'd say modern Python is more
> complicated than C++ and D.
>
> What Python got right is that you don't have to deal with the
> complicated stuff unless you are hellbent on dealing with it.
> Python affords a very smooth incremental learning curve, but it
> is still a long learning curve...

^ This ...

I am seeing some responses that a language that is not loaded
with all the options is not really real language. Yet, those
languages are used for productivity all over the world.

Go is horrible limited and yet loved by many. And many really
push the boundaries very far. But why do Python, PHP, Ruby, Go
and others rank so high. Its because they are designed with a
easy learning curve and documentation to match this curve.

D has the issue its designed to trow people into the deep end of
the pool. Reading the responses on the basic nitpicking issues
with D ( that i posted here ), you can tell that people "do not
get it". Its small issues but a lot of small issues simply
increase complexity. One mole in a garden is not a issue and can
be overlooked. A hundred and people prefer the garden next door.

D will never be a language that draws in a lot of people from
scripting languages like Python, PHP, Ruby simply because its
clearly not designed with this mindset. It also does not help how
much strange code decisions have been made in the past, that
result in awkward library issues.

The problem is most languages allow you to program 80 to 90% of
the task with eases.

D is focused on providing those extra 10 a 20% but in doing so
the language has gotten complex, the library filled with years of
scruff and because it focused on that extra 20%, it only draws in
a selective crowd that keeps pushing more and more into that
boundary. And that same crowd is not focused on leaving C++ any
time soon, as C++ keeps evolving and improving. Anybody really
focused on going into this 20% market, will look at the players,
the tools and simply say: "Why D? Why not C++ 14/17/20".

This very much compact the issue that D has in attracting new
users.