Which language futures make D overcompicated?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 01:56:53 UTC 2018

On Monday, 12 February 2018 at 01:45:42 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> But if you're putting out a D lib, you can't do that because
> people expect a lib to be part of a package system (for good
> reason).

Yeah, this drives me nuts too. Most "bugs" I hear are just dub
being weird (like mine I put as "Sourcelibrary" and it works fine
if you use one... but if it is included by some other lib as some
other build, it now conflicts. What I wish it did was just
realize the package is already a dependency and reuse it! But it
doesn't seem to work that way.)

And dub's search is kinda bad and the index is just flat-out
awful, which does more harm than good. People do the
code.dlang.org search, something doesn't come up, so they assume
it isn't there even when it is.

I've considered doing a new package website with a new search,
using dub's official stuff just as a backend api, coupled with
docs available online. I think I can fix a bunch of those
frontend problems with it. But I just a lot of higher priority
stuff to do (like actually writing my libs!) so I haven't gotten
around to it.