Bye bye, fast compilation times

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 13 09:42:00 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 05:47:10 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:

> Was once on my together with other OS memory manager functions,
> but postponed the work indefinetly.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1549
>
> If someone is willing to revive that I’d gladly assist with
> review.
>
> Lastly on Windows it would need FlushCpuCaches call before
> executing new memory.
>
> And ofc JIT is cool, but it would be more cool to have sane
> interpreter that doesn’t leak sooner. Simply put JIT is x5 work
> due to different architectures and seeing first-hand how it
> goes I’m not sure we want that in our compiler yet.

Since dmd is only targeting x86/x86_64 there is really just one
arch to support for now.
All the others can fallback to either the interpreter or
generated c code compiled into a shared lib :)

newCTFE already provides a very low-level IR that should be
trivially translatable to machine -code. (famous last words :o) )