Being Positive

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 13 15:46:08 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 03:40:52 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> {snip} I suspect that part of it is that a lot of folks seem to
> come to D looking for the perfect language after having be
> frustrated by another language like C++, and while D is a lot
> closer to that for many folks than other languages are, it
> still has plenty of flaws, and we want those flaws fixed so
> that it can become the perfect language. Obviously, that's not
> going to happen. No language is perfect, but the vocal portion
> of the D community does have a tendency to want to push for
> everything that's arguably wrong with D to be fixed, and that
> can result in a lot of negativity, but it can also result in
> things getting fixed (though that requires actually doing
> something about it rather than just complaining).

I think what would help here is a D wiki page (maybe
<https://wiki.dlang.org/Language_issues> could be expanded) that
lists perceived flaws in the language, together with an
explanation whether or not it's really considered a flaw, and if
it is, why it's not being fixed. Those not-being-fixed reasons
are the real crux of the issue, I think:

   * If the reason is lack of manpower or expertise in the area,
then complaints about the flaw can be responded with, "see [that
wiki page], can you pitch in?".

   * If the reason is that by fixing the issue it would cause
problems {x}, {y}, and {z}, then the person raising the complaint
learns something about language design.

   * If the reason is the language design team's personal
preference on the matter, and the tradeoffs are listed, then
users learn what the tradeoffs are and have to live with it.

   * If the reason for not fixing the issue is hesitation to break
backward compatibility, then this may be an issue that D
leadership wants to hear feedback on.

But I think pointing people to that wiki page and laying it out
like that may diffuse a lot of arguments.