Being Positive

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public12 at thebird.nl
Tue Feb 13 05:49:17 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 03:15:44 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> I don't see a negative trend. It's always been negative around
> here, and I've never understood why. It's the best language
> I've used by a significant margin. D is the inverse of the Lisp
> community, which believes the Common Lisp Hyperspec was
> delivered on stone tablets.

Funny. Maybe it is a self-organising engineering culture that has
evolved. We have a mixture of critical people here and the
occasional nutcase. You see that in most popular FOSS projects,
but D is pretty extreme.

The harmful part of all theses messages, apart from disgusting
the more sensitive among us, is that I find people (say at this
FOSDEM - btw great talk Kai) telling me that D is immature. These
people read these threads. So they don't even try D. Being
positive helps recruit people into trying things out on their
own. I would not call it social engineering per se, but
ultimately you want people to come in the door and try stuff.
Only then will merit pay off.

I start to wonder if we just shut off and remove the forum
history would actually improve the takeup of D. I wonder if
project leaders would stop posting it would actually improve the
takeup of D. Maybe we should just try that for a year. Someone I
knew would (in the days of paper) move his inbox into the trash.
He would say: if it is really important it will come back. A
clean slate makes the day fresh.

My proposal: remove the forum and history completely and for a
year only produce blogs. We still have github, bugzilla, DIPs
etc. Plenty ways to express yourself and contribute. Project
leaders stop posting so they can focus on the technical side of
things.

> I've even raised the issue myself. Everyone complains about
> Walter and Andrei and the lack of tools and so on, but I see a
> lot of progress. I don't really care about who isn't using D or
> why. For many years I saw the same thing in the Linux community
> yet year after year I had a computer that just worked.

Yes. Remember the days everyone was using Windows and just a few
of us were using Linux. I do not think D will be *that*
successful, but it has enough momentum to keep going. It is a
solid investment in my book.