C++ launched its community survey, too

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Feb 27 18:42:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 05:46:58PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 17:41:07 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > And just about every new dmd release, people fume on this forum
> > about regressions and gratuitous code breakages.
>
> Not all deprecations/code breakages are *regressions* and
> *gratuitous*.
>
> You just need to do a cost/benefit look at it. For C++ though,
> supporting decades of very widespread use is doing to adjust the cost
> calculus of a change relative to D, of course.

Of course.  The amount of code breakage caused by a new release of dmd
is surely less than the amount of code breakage that would be caused by
an implementation of a new backward-incompatible C++ standard.  That's
why it's not going to happen.

Well, OK, there *have* been backward-incompatible changes in the C++
standard (I experienced some myself just these past 2 weeks while
updating an old C++98 project of mine... which was also motivation for
ditching C++ completely and migrating the whole codebase to D).  But
you're not going to see the sort of fundamental change that will fix
some of the longstanding inherent design problems with C++, because that
would mean alienating the majority of existing C++ projects out there.
Even if the C++ committee went ahead with such a revision, it will
surely not fly: nobody will want to implement it.

We saw a similar situation, though on a smaller scale, with the whole
D1/D2 Tango vs. Phobos fiasco. Even today that scar still persists in
outsiders' perception of D, despite all our efforts to bury that ugly
past.

Winners never quit, quitters never win. But those who never quit AND never win are idiots.