C++ launched its community survey, too

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 19:01:57 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 18:42:20 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> [snip]
> Well, OK, there *have* been backward-incompatible changes in
> the C++ standard (I experienced some myself just these past 2
> weeks while updating an old C++98 project of mine... which was
> also motivation for ditching C++ completely and migrating the
> whole codebase to D).  But you're not going to see the sort of
> fundamental change that will fix some of the longstanding
> inherent design problems with C++, because that would mean
> alienating the majority of existing C++ projects out there.
> Even if the C++ committee went ahead with such a revision, it
> will surely not fly: nobody will want to implement it.

The economic way of thinking is to consider whether the marginal
benefit of a breaking change on all future code and whether that
would exceed the marginal cost of a breaking change requiring old
projects to be re-written. As most of us recognize, if the amount
of old code that needs to be re-written is large and the cost of
re-writing it is high, then it would overwhelm any changes of
little benefit. Thus, I'm not sure this resistance to
backward-incompatible changes is something all that specific to
C++. I would guess that if D were as popular as C++, then the
rational thing to do would be to be slow moving and be very
careful about making costly breaking changes.