What do you want to see for a mature DLang?

IM 3di at gm.com
Mon Jan 1 18:22:17 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 at 21:16:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/31/2017 8:18 AM, IM wrote:
>> What do you think? Do you agree that a process is needed?
>
> We've tried adding process before. It does not work, for the
> simple reason that it requires a dedicated group of people to
> dedicate time to it.

Something should work. It just needs to be found. People are
already dedicating time to D by contributing fixes and filing
issues, responding on the forums, ... etc. Organizing work and
priorities is not an exception. It doesn't take that long by the
way, only 30 ~ 60 minutes per week max should be more than
enough. I hope you could take the upcoming DConf as an
opportunity to discuss with others ways to enhance the process
and minimize friction.

> Are you willing to do that?

I'd be happy to do it, but I'm not the right person for it. This
needs someone who knows D very well, knows the bigger picture,
and is familiar with the contributors and who mostly works on
what to be able to adjust priorities and ownership appropriately.
I've been learning and experimenting with D only for a few
months. Also, I'm worried about - though unlikely - to put myself
in a conflict-of-interest situation; we don't use D at work, and
as far as I know there are neither interest nor plans to do so. I
hope this will change one day, and that's why I started this
post, because quality and maturity are very important.

> We have added process when someone has stepped up to do the
> thankless job of administering it.

I think it is thankful and as important as submitting PRs and
DIPs. Shaping, organizing, and directing human effort are just as
important as the human effort itself.