__traits(documentation, X)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 21:01:01 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 18 January 2018 at 20:35:54 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> In any case, I stand by my assertion -- comments should be
> comments, not code.

Note that we aren't talking about comments. We're talking about
ddoc strings. They just have very similar appearance to comments,
but they are distinct entities defined by D to be part of the AST
(and the compiler will parse their contents too if you ask it
to!), unlike regular comments which are discarded before parsing.

That's really the big difference that puts me over the top:
documentation strings in D are defined to be attached to the
symbol by the compiler. They're ALREADY different than plain
comment-comments, just the compiler withholds this information
from the code.