Dscanner - DCD - Dfix ... Editor support or the lack of it.

Dgame r.schuett.1987 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 18:18:02 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 17:55:06 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On 1/26/18 5:50 PM, Dgame wrote:
> [...]
>> > My impression so far is that most of the D users love to
>> > program in a tiny editor without the features which modern
>> > IDE's gives you. That's impressive, but outdated and even a
>> > bit silly if the project is bigger.  In any company I've
>> > been so far we've used IDE's, because their feature-set and
>> > tools take so much work away from you - I don't want to miss
>> > them anymore. Nowadays, the majority of programmers who are
>> > willing to try new/others programming languages, think so
>> > too. I'm somewhat sure that this unneccessary hurdle is one
>> > of D's biggest mistakes.
> [...]
>
> Not to negate the fact that we *do* need to improve IDE
> support, but the claim that IDEs are "required" for large
> projects is false, and so is the claim that non-IDE editors are
> "tiny". At my day job, I work with a very large codebase
> (50,000+ source files, and yes, I mean 50 *thousand*, not
> hundred), and vim has more than sufficed for the past 10 years.
> And vim does a *lot* more than what some people tend to falsely
> believe that it's "just" another "tiny" text editor on the
> order of NotePad.
>
> This doesn't excuse our poor IDE support, of course, we do need
> to improve our IDE support. But it's tiresome to keep reading
> these unfounded claims that IDE's are somehow inherently
> superior to powerful editors like vim, which is not necessarily
> the case.

It's nice that this works for you, but I strongly believe that
most of the programmers who are willing to try something new are
younger and I also think that most of them don't use VIM/Emacs on
a daily basis. It's impressive that you can do it and I'm sure it
works for you pretty well, but I doubt that younger programmers
do the same - the hurdle to work with those tools is way to high
at the start. One of our programmers use VIM too, but on a
regular basis he has problems like finding/renaming
files/variables or optimize imports or code formatting. I bet you
can do that with the right tools and a lot of time as good as an
IDE can do it, but the IDE can do that out of the box without
consuming your time. It's like I said - if you mainly used
VIM/Emacs you think everything is fine and would not try an IDE -
but that's not what nowadays happens to new programmers. And to
make D appealing to them, D has to offer good IDE support or it
will remain as a hobby language with very few exceptions.