Dscanner - DCD - Dfix ... Editor support or the lack of it.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Jan 27 17:55:06 UTC 2018

> On 1/26/18 5:50 PM, Dgame wrote:
[...]
> > My impression so far is that most of the D users love to program in
> > a tiny editor without the features which modern IDE's gives you.
> > That's impressive, but outdated and even a bit silly if the project
> > is bigger.  In any company I've been so far we've used IDE's,
> > because their feature-set and tools take so much work away from you
> > - I don't want to miss them anymore. Nowadays, the majority of
> > programmers who are willing to try new/others programming languages,
> > think so too. I'm somewhat sure that this unneccessary hurdle is one
> > of D's biggest mistakes.
[...]

Not to negate the fact that we *do* need to improve IDE support, but the
claim that IDEs are "required" for large projects is false, and so is
the claim that non-IDE editors are "tiny". At my day job, I work with a
very large codebase (50,000+ source files, and yes, I mean 50
*thousand*, not hundred), and vim has more than sufficed for the past 10
years. And vim does a *lot* more than what some people tend to falsely
believe that it's "just" another "tiny" text editor on the order of
NotePad.

This doesn't excuse our poor IDE support, of course, we do need to
improve our IDE support. But it's tiresome to keep reading these
unfounded claims that IDE's are somehow inherently superior to powerful
editors like vim, which is not necessarily the case.

Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares? -- Miquel van Smoorenburg