Dscanner - DCD - Dfix ... Editor support or the lack of it.

David Gileadi gileadisNOSPM at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 17:42:54 UTC 2018

On 1/26/18 5:50 PM, Dgame wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 00:13:51 UTC, Benny wrote:
>> On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 00:08:17 UTC, Benny wrote:
>>> * Rust: Jetbrain IntelliJ + Rust plugin.
>>> It looks like it has become a official supported plugin by Jetbrain.
>>> Works perfectly out of the box. Impressive results and issue hinting.
>>
>> https://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2017/08/04/official-support-for-open-source-rust-plugin-for-intellij-idea-clion-and-other-jetbrains-ides/
>>

>> Yep, i was right. Its now a official support plugin by Jetbrain.
>>
>> And no offense but i doubt it has anything to do with Mozilla
>> officially backing Rust but more a sign of popularity. Just as how Go
>> got its own Editor by Jetbrain.
>
> My impression so far is that most of the D users love to program in a
> tiny editor without the features which modern IDE's gives you. That's
> impressive, but outdated and even a bit silly if the project is bigger.
> In any company I've been so far we've used IDE's, because their
> feature-set and tools take so much work away from you - I don't want to
> miss them anymore. Nowadays, the majority of programmers who are willing
> to try new/others programming languages, think so too. I'm somewhat sure
> that this unneccessary hurdle is one of D's biggest mistakes.

As an IDE junkie I've noticed this correlation in the past too. I wonder
which direction the causation runs--does D tend to appeal to the no-IDE
crowd, or do IDE-prefering people abandon D since there hasn't been
great IDEs support?

Regardless I'm very pleased by the recent trends. The vs-code plugins
are good and getting better, and DMD as a library should enable simpler
and more complete language support in any IDE. I believe we're getting
closer to the point where IDE junkies like me won't feel somewhat
short-changed, and that's impressive for a community-driven language like D.