DIP 1016--ref T accepts r-values--Community Review Round 1

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:36:38 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 at 12:40:16 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
wrote:

> That proposal is a 'Syntactic Sugar' feature, that simply hide
> what normally need to be explicitly coded: proved a temp
> rvalue, pass it to a callable taking ref. What you call
> 'simplification', I call it 'obfuscation'; what you call
> uniformity I call trying to spread a well justified
> restriction...
> /Paolo

A restriction which causes pointless redundant code for the
caller who doesn't always have source code access. If my old
teacher assistant taught me anything it is this: Redundant code
is bad. You are literately forcing the programmer to create tmp
variables that risk the possibility of being shadowed or worse,
having its value change.

Your manual solution suggestion have it own set of problems. You
might as well argue against the foreach statement, because its
"obfuscation".

-Alexander