DMD, Vibe.d, and Dub

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Tue Jul 31 07:16:11 UTC 2018

Am Wed, 18 Jul 2018 19:08:32 +0100 schrieb Russel Winder:

> On Wed, 2018-07-18 at 17:45 +0000, Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>> Am Wed, 18 Jul 2018 13:29:00 +0100 schrieb Russel Winder:
>>

> […]
>> > libssl installed but libssl-dev not. I can't quite see why the linker
>> > ld needs the development files, it just needs the shared objects to
>> > be present.
>>
>> Debian moved the lib*.so => lib*.so.123version symlinks into the -dev
>> packages some time ago, so now you can't link without -dev packages.
>> Not the smartest move imho....
>
> I think I shall find it hard to discover a reason why you are wrong,
> but clearly the Debian devs in charge managed to.

I actually found a reason why you do not want the .so symlink in normal
runtime packages: If you have a library libfoo with different versions,
i.e. 1.0 and 2.0, the libfoo packages for 1.0 and 2.0 do not have any
conflicting files so you can in theory install both library versions
(with same package name) at the same time. I don't know if debian
supports this but I think on fedora it's possible to install multiple
versions of the same package. Havin the .so symlink in the non-dev
package would prevent this usage pattern.

--
Johannes