DUB colored output proposal/showcase

gdelazzari giacky98.mail at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 09:56:22 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 9 June 2018 at 01:17:26 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Friday, 8 June 2018 at 13:35:36 UTC, gdelazzari wrote:
>> Take a look at these screenshots:
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/3RJyd6m
>>

> Very nice!
>
> But related to your motivation for  this, I do really wish dub
> had far less output by default. For example, I don't need to be
> told over and over that each of my dependencies are up-to-date
> (or which version was chosen. I can always look at
> dub.selections.json or use --verbose if I need to check that.)
> And I dont need to be reminded about --force every time my
> build succeeds. Or for that matter, be told whether or not the
> compiler gave an error. If there are errors I can already see
> that they're there. Etc.

While I mostly agree with you, I have to note that the reminder
that you can use --force to force rebuilding everything only pops
up when you "dub build" a package you just built, i.e. if you
make some changes to the code and build, it won't show up in the
output, as you can see in the first screenshot at my link. I
think this is fine and makes sense, since a first time user may
try to run "dub build" to rebuild the project without obtaining
that effect, and that message will be useful to understand how to
actually force rebuilding it if he/she really wants to.

I agree that the "Up-to-date" that pops up for every dependency
is too verbose, and can definitely be removed. Also the "Failed,
dub exited with code X" doesn't make a lot of sense as you said.
Also it's not consistent since, if we keep that message, then why
not also printing something like "Success, dub exited with code
0, build completed" at the end of a successful build? So yeah,
agreed, it should go and doesn't carry more information that what
you already know.

If anyone has other suggestions regarding Dub's output I'll be
happy to take them, since I'm working on that anyway.