What's happening with the `in` storage class

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 13:11:33 UTC 2018

On 6/11/18 7:48 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
> * Currently one has to pass `-dip1000` to get `scope` to do anything.
> This is opt-in. Any breakages would also be opt-in. I don't think
> breakage considerations are important here.

Just on this point, there is nothing "opt in" about dip1000. Either all
the code you use is compiled with dip1000, or it's not. Since it alters
symbol names, you can't link a library that uses dip1000 against one
that doesn't, and expect it to work.

For a while, phobos was partly compiled with dip1000 and it was a disaster.

There is going to be a cutoff date at some point, where Phobos is
compiled with dip1000, and then you are going to have to use an earlier
compiler to "opt out" of it.

Unless, of course, we can work out how to deal with the symbol name
adjustments.

-Steve