D code obfuscator

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 11:59:36 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 14 June 2018 at 08:54:16 UTC, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> So, no, I was not kidding. Not even close.

I've had some experience on both sides of this... so, I think I
can say with some certainty that debugging symbols make
reverse-engineering MUCH easier (many hunts to find the relevant
code can be reduced to a keyword search), so I think it's a valid
concern.

That D leaks identifiers and other bits from the source code is a
real issue preventing some real-world use cases. E.g., there
might be legal obligations in place where leaking source code
identifiers could be considered a breach of NDA etc. In one case,
we needed to write an RTTI patcher for C++ (MSVC) after
updating/reconfiguring the build toolchain, as the compiler would
otherwise place the class names of some classes in the binary.