Would be nice if compiler gave more information!

Simen Kjærås simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 12:12:16 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 14 June 2018 at 11:30:46 UTC, DigitalDesigns wrote:
> object.Error@(0): Access Violation
> ----------------
> 0x00415999
> 0x0040A3B7
> 0x00518A2D
> 0x005751FD
> 0x005ABA41
> 0x005ABAEB
> 0x00525136
> 0x005246D6
> 0x005253E2
> 0x0066509D
> 0x00664F38
> 0x00529F68
> 0x77018744 in BaseThreadInitThunk
> 0x77C5582D in RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath
> 0x77C557FD in RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath
>
> So, when the compiler crashes it would be really nice if more
> information than just the above was given!
>
> All I know is that using the code
>
> static foreach(a; ["wchar", "ushort"])
> 	mixin("void bar("~a~" value) { foo(); }");
>
> is what is causing it. Manually giving the functions works fine.

That code works great when I define foo, and doesn't crash when I
don't. Please provide a full example that causes the crash so
that we can figure out the cause.

Now, since this is a compiler crash, getting symbols in the stack
trace isn't going to help you unless you're planning to fix the
compiler itself. If you are, just follow Vlad's advice and build
the compiler with -g.

On Thursday, 14 June 2018 at 11:55:03 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> Make sure you are building with -g (debug information).

This is from the compiler crashing. I doubt he's built that.

--
   Simen