Sign the installers

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 28 00:59:42 UTC 2018

On 6/27/2018 5:34 PM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 17:26:36 Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I guess people feel nervous about installing allegedly potentially
>> dangerous software on their corporate workstation.
>
> Honestly, that's exactly the sort of thing that I always ignore. I'd pay
> attention if anti-virus software outright said that it found a virus, but
> "unrecognized software?" That's exactly the sort of thing that's just going
> to get me pissed off at Microsoft for getting in my way. Though honestly,
> Microsoft pops up so many useless messages that it becomes easy to miss any
> that actually matter, because you have to skip through so many of them all
> the time that you stop paying attention to them. So, I'm definitely
> surprised to hear about programmers refusing to install something just
> because Microsoft doesn't recognize it.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

It's all about removing resistance and raising the level of
professionalism.  D isn't a hobby project and shouldn't act like one.
This is an obvious barrier that's worth removing.  In this day and age
of rampant actively dangerous software, it's an obvious improvement to
sign it and make the strong claim that this is produced and vended by
the d foundation and we vouch for it's contents.  We already do for some
(all?) of the posix distribution bundles.