Compilation is taking a ton of memory

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jun 28 16:24:07 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 04:11:57PM +0000, crimaniak via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> The problem is aggravated by the fact that DUB compiles all the
> sources in one DMD launch.

Doesn't dub have an option to compile packages (i.e. subdirs)
separately? Or does that only apply to dub packages, not to subdirs
within a single project?

> I tried to solve this problem some time ago, and Sönke advised using
> reggae (https://code.dlang.org/packages/reggae). I'm still
> experimenting with different approaches and even wrote my own utility
> helper (https://code.dlang.org/packages/ifupdated).
[...]

This is one of the reasons I was not impressed by dub (sorry, Sonke).  I
continue to use SCons for my D projects. For dub dependencies, I just
create a fake empty dub project with declared dependencies and run that
separately for refreshing dependencies, but the actual compiling and
linking is handled by SCons.  Once a project gets beyond a certain size,
you *need* more fine-grained control over exactly how the project should
be built.

That's not a bug; that's a feature!