Is it possible to set up DConf Asia?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Jun 29 11:32:13 UTC 2018

On Friday, June 29, 2018 10:50:52 Joakim via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I coincidentally just read this blog post, that summarizes a lot
> of my thoughts against conferences and meetups:
>
> https://marco.org/2018/01/17/end-of-conference-era
>
> Maybe a good first step would be a mostly online DConf geared
> towards Asian timezones? I could help out with arranging those
> online talks.

That article seems to pre-suppose that the only benefit from conferences is
the talks. A _lot_ of good comes from having a bunch of the key developers
in the same place for a few days where they can talk in person. Some
communities (e.g. the BSD community) even have developer meetings connected
to conferences where they specifically put a bunch of developers in a room
together to discuss stuff. The talks are valuable, but in some ways, those
face-to-face interactions are worth far more than the talks. So, while
there's certainly value in finding ways to get more talks online, I think
that it would be a huge mistake to try and push for online stuff to replace
physical conferences where developers actually interact with each other in
person.

- Jonathan M Davis