-betterC is amazing, make (/keep making) it more sophisticated!

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Wed Mar 21 22:48:36 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 at 22:33:37 UTC, Aedt wrote:
> I've been playing with D for a while. I usually
> write/maintain/contribute to C and C++ applications for *nix. D
> is low key amazing, it has
> - C standard library in the standard
> - continually improving betterC idioms
> - built in version blocks, unit test and debug blocks
> - painless doc gen
> - modules and painless dependency handling
> - linter, formatting tool and suggestion tool independent of
> editors

Thanks a lot for these kind words!

> Now if D manages all of the following it's going to be even
> better:
> - complete porting the C99 compliant C compiler fornt end to
> the D compiler so you can seamlessly just import C headers
> (like C++)

I heard that Walter recently ported his DMC++ to D and I heard
that someone was working on this, so chances aren't too bad that
this might happen ;-)

> - Improve shared library support

What do you miss / are referring to?

> Don't know about other C programmers but if D grants me to
> write C with modules, doc gen and dep handling, I can switch
> any day! But I need to be able to use tons of C libraries
> without having to writing wrappers for them.

Not sure whether you are aware of these two projects?

https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep (converts C headers to D
headers auto-magically)

https://github.com/Syniurge/Calypso (LDC fork which allows direct
interfacing with C/C++ code)