CTFE ^^ (pow)

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 03:54:11 UTC 2018

On 24 March 2018 at 18:10, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 3/24/2018 9:37 AM, Manu wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure why I seem to have to defend the idea that it's a *great
>> thing* that D (in theory; according to the advertising brochure) does
>> away with these requirements.
>

> It is indeed a great idea. I'm just making the case that it isn't a blocker
> to not have it. It's inconvenient.
>
> It's like you can code anything in C, even OOP. It's just inconvenient,
> tedious, and error-prone to.

Instantiations of the tables are parametric. It would be impossible to
pre-generate tables for all possible instantiations.
I have no idea how the pre-gen tool would discover instantiations in
user code to know which tables to generate.
I guess the user would need to supply instantiation parameters to the
tool as well in advance to inform it which tables intend to be used...
I'm not even remotely interested in that experience. It's a blocker,
because I won't write that code. That's just a shitty experience.