Sealed classes - would you want them in D? (v2)

Dave Jones dave at jones.com
Fri May 18 09:07:57 UTC 2018

On Friday, 18 May 2018 at 02:08:47 UTC, KingJoffrey wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 May 2018 at 14:14:28 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
> wrote:
>>
>> You're welcome to write a DIP, but I don't see a very good
>> chance for acceptance given the discussions on this subject.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> I agree. The D community is too small, and insufficiently
> diverse to discuss this any further.
>
> It's funny how we build programming languages to serve us, but
> we end up serving them.

FFS you're so dramatic. First the world is ending because private
doesnt work as you expected. Then D is utterly useless without
the changes you want. Now we live in some dystopian nightmare
where we are all slaves to the Dlang spec.

Listen up dude, people here have been using D as it is, are happy
with how it works, and even prefer how it works. They have done
so for months or years. That is a big bar for you to get over,
they have years of experience with D working for them. Coming in
and saying "ooh but thats wrong, your doing it wrong.. because
OOP... etc..." waving your arms, making hyperbolic statements
about how its the end of the world etc... wont win any arguments.

You cant convince people of what you say if all you do is give
them an ideological*** argument that is counter to their years of
experience. That's just the way it is, it's actually better that
way, because otherwise people would be swayed by every passing
preacher and everything would be in a right mess.

***Your argument is ideological because you dont provide any
evidence for it. This has been pointed out and yet you still dont
seem grasp it. Saying "this is what you need to do and this is
why it will benefit" is not evidence, it is a statement of belief.

Please understand I am not saying what you want is right or
wrong, I'm saying you dont understand why people aren't won over
by what you say.