Sealed classes - would you want them in D? (v2)

Dave Jones dave at jones.com
Sun May 20 11:19:01 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 20 May 2018 at 02:45:25 UTC, KingJoffrey wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 May 2018 at 17:38:48 UTC, Gheorghe Gabriel
> wrote:
>
> But in D, everything is your friend - you don't get to manage

You want to be taken seriously and yet you repeat false
statements over and over again.

> There is absolutely no reason why D cannot have both (the
> current way D does it, and the C++ way). It's obviously
> technically possible.

Being technically possible or even easy to implement is not an
argument for including something.

> It's obvious it would attract a great deal more programmers to
> D.

Pure conjecture. You don't know why people choose not to use D,
you know why you choose not to use it. Assuming your opinion is
shared by all these supposed people is at best naive at worst an
indication of narcissism.

I'll assume for now that you are young, idealistic and naive.

> It doesn't really complicate the language at all - that's just
> an excuse not to change. And, it's obvious, that protecting the
> interface would result in better quality software. It's a core
> fundamental principle of quality software.
>
> It's just a matter of getting more diverse people into the D
> 'community'.

Yes because if a group of people don't accept your argument about
something obviously there is something wrong with them.

OK it's starting to look more like narcissism.

> But I get the feeling that's not what most D people want. The
> status quo is pretty comfortable for many, it seems.

No shit... you're just getting that feeling now? You remind me of
my teenage son, it takes about 100 times of telling him something
before it sticks in his head.

Let me ask you this...

How do you get comfortable with something? By using it, trying
it, and finding that it works. You don't get comfortable with
having a stone in your shoe, so if this feature was the nightmare
you say it is all these people using D wouldn't be OK with it.

But again it's utterly pointless because you cannot grasp that.
You are unable to even consider that something "other" might
work. You are a zealot in that respect, that's why you
exaggerate, misrepresent the other side of the argument, predict
doom for the heathens, and never budge on your position.

Anyway... feel free to misrepresent what I've said, engage in
hyperbole, snip the parts you cant argue with, speak for all the
people who chose not to use D, tell D it's doomed if they don't
do what you say, it'll never be popular, that it's all idiotic.
Etc...