Sealed classes - would you want them in D? (v2)

KingJoffrey KingJoffrey at KingJoffrey.com
Mon May 21 03:19:34 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 20 May 2018 at 11:19:01 UTC, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 May 2018 at 02:45:25 UTC, KingJoffrey wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 May 2018 at 17:38:48 UTC, Gheorghe Gabriel
>> wrote:
>>
>> But in D, everything is your friend - you don't get to manage
>
> You want to be taken seriously and yet you repeat false
> statements over and over again.
>

>> There is absolutely no reason why D cannot have both (the
>> current way D does it, and the C++ way). It's obviously
>> technically possible.
>
> Being technically possible or even easy to implement is not an
> argument for including something.
>

>> It's obvious it would attract a great deal more programmers to
>> D.
>
> Pure conjecture. You don't know why people choose not to use D,
> you know why you choose not to use it. Assuming your opinion is
> shared by all these supposed people is at best naive at worst
> an indication of narcissism.
>
> I'll assume for now that you are young, idealistic and naive.
>

>> It doesn't really complicate the language at all - that's just
>> an excuse not to change. And, it's obvious, that protecting
>> the interface would result in better quality software. It's a
>> core fundamental principle of quality software.
>>
>> It's just a matter of getting more diverse people into the D
>> 'community'.
>
> Yes because if a group of people don't accept your argument
> about something obviously there is something wrong with them.
>
> OK it's starting to look more like narcissism.
>

>> But I get the feeling that's not what most D people want. The
>> status quo is pretty comfortable for many, it seems.
>
> No shit... you're just getting that feeling now? You remind me
> of my teenage son, it takes about 100 times of telling him
> something before it sticks in his head.
>
> Let me ask you this...
>
> How do you get comfortable with something? By using it, trying
> it, and finding that it works. You don't get comfortable with
> having a stone in your shoe, so if this feature was the
> nightmare you say it is all these people using D wouldn't be OK
> with it.
>
> But again it's utterly pointless because you cannot grasp that.
> You are unable to even consider that something "other" might
> work. You are a zealot in that respect, that's why you
> exaggerate, misrepresent the other side of the argument,
> predict doom for the heathens, and never budge on your position.
>
> Anyway... feel free to misrepresent what I've said, engage in
> hyperbole, snip the parts you cant argue with, speak for all
> the people who chose not to use D, tell D it's doomed if they
> don't do what you say, it'll never be popular, that it's all
> idiotic. Etc...

Come on Dave.

18+ years, and still less than 1000 programmers.

As I've said, I can have more that one class in a file in a
variety of different mainstream languages, which represent about
20 million developers, and still have the compiler protect that
interface from abuse, including accidental misuse.

You cannot get this in D, and yet 20 million developers have had
this for decades.

When they come over to D, their' told, stuff you, we don't do it
that way in D, and btw, we don't care about your ideas on how we
could easily get D to do it both ways. We prefer our own way, so
you get stuffed.

That's kind of what I've hearing from the D community.

Of course, that kind of attitude can only invite the same
attitude back to the D community.

Let's hope you truly don't represent the D community, cause then
my comments are not hyperbole, they are fact.