It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 18:47:22 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 at 17:08:20 UTC, sepiasisy wrote:
> What bugs me is the shortening distance regarding what D has to
> offer with respect to C++.

I doubt the shortening distance. While C++ does advance and D
isn't moving as fast as it was at 2010 (I think), I still believe
C++ isn't the faster evolver of the two. When the next C++
standard comes out, D has improved too. Examples of what might be
there by then:

-stable and reasonably documented DIP1000 implementation
-Dpp able to compile real-world c++ headers
-ability to script web pages and call the Web API without needing
JavaScript glue code for that
-generally more stable implementation
- at nogc nothrow pure @safe containers that work with allocators
and const/immutable

And if they're really going to add all that you listed and do it
well, I don't think it will happen by 2020. Even if the standard
catches that year, the implementations are unlikely to.