It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Fri Nov 16 13:38:17 UTC 2018

On Friday, 16 November 2018 at 13:10:19 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> I've never had C++ projects break due to a compiler update, nor
> have I ever filed a clang or gcc bug.

But that's because C++ is way older than D and has had a lot more
work done to it.

C++ hasn't always been elegant and I'll bet you Walter can come
up with a lot of issues with C++ from back when he worked on C++
compilers.

Clang and GCC do have a lot of bugs too though, but they're
usually much more "precise" and not so much "general" as most
bugs in D, but eventually D will reach the same level.

I have never had any breakage because of a D compiler update in
my own projects for the past 2+ years, but I have with 3rd party
libraries though, so I'm not entirely free of that either.

As long as D is as open as it is, then I think it'll continue to
have breakage with each bigger release.

The good thing though is that it's usually not necessary to
update your compiler version and you can generally wait a few
versions until you update and that way you can skip most breakage.