It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Nov 22 11:14:54 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 04:07:32 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:

[snip]

By the way, you keep mentioning that you use D for your own
internal stuff, and as far as I can see a lot of companies that
use D do the same. They have their own in-house ecosystem, and
that's fine. Of course, for this kind of usage D might be OK
(apart from the facepalm flaws it still has) - or any language
for that matter.

However, a lot of IT companies (small, medium and big) also have
to adapt to the market in terms of third party products like
Android and iOS and other technologies (including those that do
not yet exist). Once that's the case, D is one of the worst
choices possible. Everything takes years, anything that is not
directly related to (some specific features of) the language is
treated as lowest priority, and a small or medium sized company
may not be able "to roll its own" all the time, especially if
everything is still raw and has a lot of loose ends as in the
case of D. And you know what, customers don't care about your
problems. They simply go somewhere else, if you can't deliver. So
what you need is a language that provides adaptability out of the
box. This is why a lot of new languages invest in exactly this
and try to open as many "ports" as possible, to make the language
as useful as possible. Only in this way they will be adopted by
users. Your "cosmos" is D and your own company. But most other
people have to cater for third party software as well and adapt
to an ever changing market. I think this is a fact you're not
really aware of. You can talk all you like about the cosmos and
the universe, but all you see are your own needs for which D
might be fine. But reality is different for other people.