It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Nov 23 13:53:32 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 22:04:36 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 11:14:54 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Thursday, 22 November 2018 at 04:07:32 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
>> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> By the way, you keep mentioning that you use D for your own
>> internal stuff, and as far as I can see a lot of companies
>> that use D do the same. They have their own in-house
>> ecosystem, and that's fine. Of course, for this kind of usage
>> D might be OK (apart from the facepalm flaws it still has) -
>> or any language for that matter.
>>
>> However, a lot of IT companies (small, medium and big) also
>> have to adapt to the market in terms of third party products
>> like Android and iOS and other technologies (including those
>> that do not yet exist). Once that's the case, D is one of the
>> worst choices possible.
>
> D doesn't have the best GUI libraries, that's quite true.  JNI
> is not that bad so if you wanted everything but the front end
> in D would it be so tough?  You might be right about the
> situation on ios as I haven't heard of people doing much there
> in D - last I heard the hard work was done but the last stage -
> something relating to bitcode if I recall right.
>
>> Everything takes years
>
> True.  Why does it bother you? Did somebody suggest it would be
> otherwise? If one puts some energy behind making something
> happen it's not that bad, I think.  Eg autowrap for JNI
> shouldn't take more than a couple of months of work to be
> mostly useful I think.
>
>> anything that is not directly related to (some specific
>> features of) the language is treated as lowest priority
>
> Who is treating, and what is this word priority I keep hearing.
>
> It's open source, ordered anarchy.  It's hard enough persuading
> a creative person that you pay to do something he doesn't want
> to do.  How do you suppose it is that Walter and Andrei can
> assign priorities more to your liking and make people work on
> what you would wish?   They cannot.

It's not what _I_ wish. It's common sense. Sound string handling
and tooling.

> I think you're applying rules from your work domain to an
> environment where they don't apply.   That's simply not how
> volunteer open source works.

This is no longer true of D. 18+ years and a D Foundation. The
"hobby project / open source community" argument is no longer
valid. You cannot aspire to be a big player on the one hand and
then, on the other hand, when it gets a bit rough, say "Ah, we're
just a small community". It's either or.

If I were an investor I'd say "No!" after listening to you. You
need to be realistic. While everything has a spiritual dimension,
one has to be practical at too.