It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Nov 26 15:00:42 UTC 2018

On Monday, 26 November 2018 at 14:28:58 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
> On Monday, 26 November 2018 at 10:19:14 UTC, Chris wrote:
>
>> In my own job I sometimes work on interesting and emotionally
>> rewarding stuff, but I also have to do the head wrecking and
>> boring stuff that may not even be related to writing code -
>> boring but necessary.

> That is because you are being paid to do so!

Ah, no! Please. It works in other open source projects too.
People volunteer to do head-wrecking nitty-gritty stuff, if they
have the feeling it's worth it. Isn't LDC an example of just
this? You just have to encourage people and give them some sort
of reassurance. If, however, the leadership doesn't lead by
example and acts more or less in a random manner, what do you
expect? Wasn't it Walter himself who once stated that the
attitude of the management trickles down? It actually does.
There's even a proverb "Like master, like man."